Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Trip to Oklahoma

On Thursday, Aaliyah and I packed up with mom and dad and headed out for Oklahoma to help my Grandma Theda move. She has lived in her house for 56 years and, understandably, it was hard to pack up and move to an apartment in an independent living home, but she seemed excited once she saw all her furniture and pictures in place. We wouldn't let her really come in until we had it looking like "home." This trip was also an opportunity for Aaliyah to meet her Great Grandmother (or Great Granny as Grandma kept saying) for the first time and for me to see my cousin who I haven't seen in 8 1/2 years.

Here is Aaliyah meeting Great Granny for the first time...


...actually, we had been there a while, but Aaliyah finally warmed up to her enough to sit in her lap.


Just for comparison...here's Kyler the first time he met Great Granny (at the same age)


Grandma keeping warm the day of the move (it was a bit chilly that morning). Can you believe she's 82??!!


Aaliyah helping pack up some boxes.


On Sunday, we went to my uncle's house to meet up with the other side of the family and have lunch together.


My cousin Deb (the one I haven't seen in 8 1/2 years).


My cousin Chasie and her boyfriend (don't kill me Chasie, it's the only pic I got!)


Chasie's son Chase. He's so much fun to tickle and chase around the yard!


Chasie's brother Rory...


...and their dad, my uncle Darrel.


After lunch we went outside to play some and burn off that yummy lasagna.












And the others stayed inside

Grandma Carter


Grandpa Carter


"Grandma" Sharon (Grandma Theda's best friend)


Aaliyah decided to play a little, then snuggle a little.





All in all, it was a good, productive trip. We were all exhausted, but glad the move went smoothly. I was happy to get to see family again b/c it only happens maybe once a year. In fact, I haven't been to Oklahoma since Kyler was 13 months old. That's pretty sad. Maybe I'll be able to make a few more trips now that the kids are getting older and I'm at home. We'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, so there you are in Oklahoma and yet no phone calls. Sigh.