Monday, June 8, 2009

My church is AMAZING!!!

Not because it's big...and it is. Not because it's 21st century...and it is. Not even because our Pastor and Staff are awesome...and they are!
I love my church because of it's colors. I don't mean the lime green and black logo or the kelly green roof or the many colors of the walls depending on which wing you are in. I mean the colors of the people there.
When I started attending in March of 2000, my boyfriend (at the time) was the only black person regularly at the church. I could ask someone if they had seen him and if they didn't know who I was talking about, I could describe him as the "big, black guy" and they new exactly who I was talking about. I can't do that anymore. We have people from all over calling this church home, now. The awesome thing, though, is not even the adults...it's the kids! We have children from Asia, North America, South America, Africa, and Europe. We have kids every shade from fair skin with freckles to deep, dark brown skin...and I love it. I love it because it shows who we are as a church. We are ALL one body of Christ, regardless of nationality, language, gender, or skin color. Best of all, my children get to go to church with kids who look like they do and kids who don't. Kids who look more like mommy, or daddy, or Nana or PopPop. There...they fit in. Even as they grow older and go to school (where there are still cliques and gangs and racism), I know they will have a safe place where they can learn about God with kids who are comfortable being who they are and don't feel the need to gravitate toward kids who look like them. Thank you God for Lifepoint Church!

No comments: