Monday, August 18, 2008

Adventures at Wal-Mart...

if you don't know already...I work at Wal-mart. I worked there in college and came back just recently so I could continue to stay home with my kids but still provide some income. This place is so different 10 years later and now a mom and wife. I notice a lot of things that I never noticed before. I will be throwing in a few funny blogs every now and then about things that I notice that just strike me as odd.
Nothing unusually funny comes to me right now (although I'm sure I'll have one after I get off tonight) but I do notice something. There are a lot of my former students who come to Wal-mart just to hang out. Not a problem...I did that too...in fact still do sometimes. :) The thing that just breaks my heart is the number of them who are carrying children either in the cart or in their bellies (I only taught 3 1/2 years so these are 15-18 year olds). These are not their siblings...these are their kids! Everytime I see one of my kiddos pregnant, my heart hurts for them. They have no idea. Everytime I see a former student proudly showing off their child to me like it's the newest, greatest accessory, I hurt for them. They do not know. Now that I'm no longer their teacher, I just want to pull them aside and tell them how much God loves them. How much I love them. How much having a baby probably won't make them feel more loved. It's a huge sacrifice. One that I have a hard time with at 29, I can't even imagine trying to deal with it at 16!! I just hurt for them, whether they intended to get pregnant or not.
Okay, that's enough for now...stay tuned!

No comments: