Sunday, July 8, 2007

from July 6, 2007


potty training

FINALLY!!! Kyler has begun potty training. Those parents of 2 and 3 year olds know what I'm so happy about. I had no problem with the fact that he just wasn't ready yet, but then Aaliyah came. There is nothing that makes you feel like a real parent like going to Wal-Mart and buying two boxes of diapers in different sizes then looking at your 2 1/2 year old who lookes like a 3 1/2 year old. I all of a sudden got really tired of changing diapers all day.
It all started on Monday. He came and told me every time he went in his diaper and then actually let me change him!! To change him without a fight hasn't happened in quite some time. On Tuesday, he had absolutely no desire to tell me anything and would not let me change his diaper all day! Wednesday was a lost cause due to the 4th. Then Thursday came and I wanted to take advantage of the momentum.
Now, let me pause for a moment and let you know how we have to decided to potty train our son. Most children get uncomfortable in a wet diaper...not my son. Some will just learn to tell you when they are wet and then you can gradually work your way to the potty...not my son. Some children will even tell you that they don't want to wear diapers anymore and just make the switch...not my son. Oh no, my hard-headed, extremely smart son has to learn not to pee on himself. That is, we put him in underwear and just let him pee (only because we have hard wood and tile floors in the living room and kitchen). He does not like that one bit. Now back to my story.
On Thusday, I didn't give him any choices. I just asked him which pair of underwear he wanted to wear. He had one accident and then it happened. He told me he had to go and started whimpering as he jumped off the couch. He didn't quite make it to the potty, but that was major progress. A few minutes later, I got him to sit down with the promise of looking at some pictures, but before I could even get the pictures out, he did it!! Kyler went in the potty!!!!! He was so excited. He went two more times that day and pooped once! I was so happy, but didn't want to get my hopes up too much because maybe it was just a novelty thing and he would go back to diapers the next day.
Today is Friday. Kyler used the potty twice and only had one accident! We are officially on our way to getting out of diapers. Now if I only have the patience to deal with accidents and the next step which will be going when we are not at home. I guess this will be when we start using pull-ups.

No comments: