Sunday, July 8, 2007

from May 13, 2007
Reflections on Mother's Day

On this, my third mother's day, I have come to the sad realization that my mother and her mother and every other mother before me already knows....there is no such thing as a Mother's Day holiday! You still have to get up, feed the kids, get everyone dressed, and think of everyone else before yourself. What kind of gift is that? For my first Mother's Day, I got breakfast at McDonald's (or was it Burger King?). Last year, I received what only a mom of an 18 month old could get, a busted lip (yes, he busted my lip on Mother's Day). This year my son and husband each got a hair cut, my daughter was dedicated, and I got to take the first shower! That's right ladies and gentlemen, I, a mom of a 29 year old husband, a 2 1/2 year old son, a 2 month old daughter, and a 7 month old puppy, got to take a shower first! Now...to all non-moms out there, you are probably wondering what is the thrill of taking the first shower. I'll tell you that to get to take a shower at all on any given day is a miracle, but to get the first shower of the morning? Now that's a real gift. :)
I do have to say, though, that as I have reflected on this Mother's Day I could not be more thankful to be a mom. I have two wonderful children who are so awsome and easy to handle compared to most kids, I have a husband who, I'm convinced, does try to make me happy, and I have an awsome God who has, for some reason beyond my understanding, thought I needed such a great family. My children are not my own, but I'm so glad that He gave them to me to take care of for him. God is awsome and I'm thankful that he has made me a mom.

No comments: