Friday, January 4, 2008

good book

It doesn't happen very often, but I'm reading a book! I can't remember the last time I actually got to read a book and remember what I read. When I get to read, I like to read books that help me improve myself as a wife, mom, woman, christian, etc. I'm really not into fiction stuff. I figure that if I have the time to read a book I had better make the most of it and have it actually mean something. Now, to the book.



This has been around a while and I wanted to read it right after Ray and I got married, but it just never happened and now we are coming up on our 5th anniversary in June. So...my mom was cleaning out some her and dad's books and came across it. It's called "His Needs, Her Needs" by Willard F. Harley, Jr. The subtitle is "Building an Affair-proof Marriage," but I think that anyone who is married can really take a lot from this book. I'm only on the fifth chapter but I have learned tons about how men and women differ in the way they view responsibilities in a marriage. One of my many goals for 2008 is to do everything I can to improve my marriage (on my end, at least) and this is definitely helping me understand why my husband does (or doesn't do) some of the things he does and why I feel so unfulfilled and frustrated in some areas.

5 most basic needs for men:
Sexual fulfillment
Recreational companionship
An attractive spouse
Domestic support
Admiration

5 most basic needs for women:
Affection
Conversation
Honesty and openness
Financial support
Family commitment

No wonder marriage is so hard! We tend to give the way we want to receive and men don't want or need long conversations and hugs and women don't need just sex!!!

No comments: