Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Who Knew???

How many wives have wondered what happened to the men they married? More times than I care to admit, I have wondered that same thing. When Ray and I got married he knew how to do laundry, he could (and would) cook, he knew how to clean, and he even put the toilet paper on the roll! Then came the gold band of forgetfullness. The day we got home from our honeymoon, he changed. All of a sudden he had forgotten how to cook, clean, and do laundry. He even forgot how to put his clothes in the closet (forget the basket, just the closet will do). Before long I was picking up clothes from the living room, home office, bathroom, and bedroom floors like I lived with a family of 20. Then, the first of many fights about my "inability" to clean house and our bad habit of eating out because it's so much easier than cooking and cleaning dishes. I thought this would change or at least get better if we talked about it and worked out some sort of schedule. HA!! Kyler came a short 16 months after we got married and then my husband lost all memories of EVER having done anything around the house. I was working full time as a new teacher, had a new son, Ray was working from home AND keeping Kyler (and I admire him for that). When I came home from work, there were bottles to clean, dishes to pick up (because they somehow didn't make it back to the kitchen), dinner to be made, laundry to do, and some cleaning happened in there somewhere. When did I become responsible for two children? Last time I checked I only gave birth to one!
Fast forward to this weekend. In our almost 5 years of marriage we have had many fights and almost always they return to my "inability" to keep the house clean, laundry done, and dinner interesting. I read this week in "His Needs, Her Needs" that this is normal. In fact, it's one of men's top 5 needs...Domestic Support. WHAT!!! Men actually need their wives to clean all the time, cook for them, do their laundry, and take care of the kids???? The book goes into much more detail and, by no means, gives men the right to walk all over their wives, but it was interesting to learn that all of our fights come back to this because it is a need that I am obviously not meeting completely for my husband. Who knew??
Okay...this is too long...laundry to be put in the dryer, bathrooms to clean, floors to sweep, windows to clean...oh, and the princess is up from her nap. Gotta go! What am I making for dinner????

No comments: